One thing that has really surprised me after decluttering for 8 months, is how far we are from being minimalist. I really thought I would see a very minimal house, but this process really takes a lot of time.
- Living more intentionally = I am now thinking about the purchases I make and how that will impact my house; adding clutter, wasting money, the impact on the environment…
- I have a lot more free time because I am not having to waste a lot of my time organizing my stuff. I use to constantly have to organize toys and cupboards to try and fit everything in and now I just clear it out ha ha.
- We are trying to become more eco friendly in our house. There are a lot of small changes that I am making and have made to be less wasteful.
- We no longer buy water! What a waste of money and all that plastic that is ruining our environment. We have a water purifier and we use reusable bottles.
- We don’t use paper towels as much. Grant always used a paper towel to dry his hand and I finally convinced him to use a towel. I actually hid the paper towels, we still have them for an emergency, but we don’t use them very often.
- I have stopped using plastic wrap.
- I unplug everything that we are not using.
- I try to turn off the lights and use natural light during the day.
- I try to schedule all of my shopping in one trip where I am already out so there is less driving.
- I only do super full loads of laundry.
- I bring my own bags to the market and when shopping I try to pick glass bottles instead of plastic. I started buying eco friendly product instead of the products I use to buy.
- I am cooking more food at home and making more homemade snacks instead of packaged snacks.
- When I buy packaged foods I look for things that have the least amount of packaging
- I have gone to using bar soap in the shower (saving the environment from those huge plastic soap bottles)
- I have started using reusable diapers again. I had used them on and off, but when we are home I am using them.
We are defiantly not perfect, but we are trying our best to make a small difference. I am currently researching more ways to cut our waste.
- Spending our money on experiences instead of things. We have been taking a lot more day trips around California and using our money we are saving on vacations. As well as saving for the future.
- We are eating healthier. After watching some documentaries and reading lots of articles we have learned about how important it is to buy non gmo and organic food. Not only for your health but for the future of our world. I know it can be a little more expensive, but when its possible I try to buy organic food.